Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Catching up

Wow, having a newborn can really take up a lot of time! Funny, since they spend so much of it sleeping...


Samuel is 2 weeks old now. Half a month. Sounds so much older when I say it that way. : ( His cord fell off last friday, at 11 days old. He's growing up. He's still doing pretty well. We were having some issues with giant spit-ups though. Last week he had one night where he spit up every feeding. I spent from 2:30am-4:00am on Google trying to find out what the cause might be. We narrowed it down to reflux (although if it's this, I think it's minor as he's generally not fussy and doesn't seem to be in pain), a dairy sensitivity (that night I did have ice cream and 3 pieces of pizza), or an overactive letdown/getting too much foremilk.

So now I have cut WAY back on dairy, feed him only on one side per feeding and only that side for the following 2 hours, burp him more often throughout a feeding, and keep him upright for about 30 minutes after a feeding (hard at 3am when he's sleeping and I want to be but I'm up holding him up). I'm not sure which thing is working, but it's gotten much better. He still occasionally spits up but only once every 2 days or so now.



Overall though, he's still a very good baby. Today's been a bit rough-not sure what's up with him but he's only happy when he's nursing. I finally had to hand him over to Russ to get something to eat and he cried and cried until finally falling asleep. I'm wondering if it might be a growth spurt?



Here's my little man at 2 weeks old...

We've tried some toys with him over the past couple of days too. He really enjoys laying under his Gymini and is so alert. Elijah had fun playing with him the other day.
And I can't resist sharing a couple of his many funny faces...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOVE the pics! He's such a beautiful baby! Congrats!

Amy Dingmann said...

Hey there, I'm from NWMH and we've met once before...your blog is awesome. I love the pictures. I actually think we saw you (very pregnant) at the Nowthen Trashing Show and I said "Hey, that's one of my homeschooler mom friends...." but didn't get a chance to stop you! Anyhow, congrats and what an absolutely beautiful baby and family!!

Jennifer said...

Love the pictures. We went through major reflux with Gracie and she has finally outgrown most of it. She does have a dairy intolerance so I still have her on a Soy formula. She throws up Whole cows milk. Not sure where we are gonna go after the formula. Sounds like you have all the info I was given.