We had only gotten out of our development when I had another contraction that was getting stronger and we decided to head straight to the hospital. Russ was very paranoid about doing another 90mph drive! I called Jessie to let her know to just meet us there. For most of the drive the contractions were uncomfortable and I couldn't talk through them anymore. About 10 minutes from the hospital, I felt the baby kind of shift and drop and the contractions immediately got harder. By the time we got to the enterance, they were hurting and I was really having to work through them.
I was brought up to Labor and Delivery and put on the monitors for 15 minutes or so. It was about 6:30pm at this point. While I was being monitored they started filling the tub up for me. I was checked and was 7 centimeters and 100% effaced, baby at 0 station. I was SO happy to be that far, yet also very scared since transition is the hardest part so finding out I was just about there was both good and bad news for me.
After I was monitored we headed over to the birth tub room.
I got in the tub and immediately felt more relaxed but the contractions really started coming hard then, with lots of pressure. My water still had not broken and when I was checked again I was complete and told I could push if I wanted to.
I started pushing with the next contraction and had a hard time stopping. For some reason, with this birth, I was really hating every contraction and dreading the next one and I just wanted to be DONE. My midwife had to remind me not to push until the peak of a contraction because I wanted to be working with my body and saving my strength for when it was most effective.
At the 2nd push, I felt the infamous POP and my water finally broke. About 2 more pushes and Samuel was delivered at 7:18, about 45 minutes after getting to the hospital. I immediately felt immense relief and happiness that he was here safely (I had been worried about complications this time for no real reason, just scared) and that I was done. Samuel was just beautiful and SO alert. I was shocked at how tiny he was. You just forget how little newborns are and I was expecting him to be bigger since he was my only full term 40 weeker.
I stayed in the tub holding Samuel for about 10 minutes before I had to deliver the placenta. Russ got to cut his cord and then took him when I got out.I was checked out and had no tearing, thank goodness, and everything looked good. I got Samuel back and we had almost an hour to nurse and rest before we moved back into our room.
Isaac was there throughout the whole thing and did awesome! He did cover his ears and didn't actually watch when Samuel was delivered but as soon as he was out, Isaac came over to the tub and got to see him when he was still under water, before we even pulled him up. He just loves Sammy and is already doing whatever he can to help. He was really sad to leave him last night and kept giving him kisses.
We're so thankful to have Samuel here, safe and healthy, and for another wonderful birth. I'm so grateful and blessed to have my new beautiful boy. We couldn't be happier!
6 comments:
Beautiful photos and story. Made me all teary eyed. I am SO happy for you!!!!!
Congratulations Nichole and Russ on the birth of Samuel. He is another gorgeous NRB boy! Thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story. Many prayers coming your way! Send us your mailing address so we can send something for him. Love in Christ, Desiree, Kirk and Edward
What a beautiful story! You are so blessed to have such quick labors! And what a blessing to have yet another son! God is awesome!!
Congratulations again! I hadn't seen your blog before - I love this! Your birthing story is amazing...you made my cry at work today! Can't wait to meet Samuel. See you all soon. Missy
Nicole, thank you. How beautiful. SO nice to catch up with you. From the CM list...
Congrats Nichole, and welcome baby Samuel!!!Glad everything went smoothly.
Our little Tess was born 8/10/08.
I also got to the hospital at 7 cm, and had a waterbirth. Funny.
Post a Comment