Isaac read his first whole real book today all by himself!!!!
He has known his letters and the sounds they make for well over a year now. He's been reading BOB books (short books with mainly 3 letter words) for about a year but much more than that and he simply doesn't try. I've thought he could do a lot more than he thinks for awhile now but if he struggles at all, he just gives up.
Well, tonight he was waiting for me to get off the computer to go to bed and had picked a book out for me to read (about tyranosaurus rex's). While he was waiting he just started reading it himself. I half-listened to him reading the first couple of pages and then told him how proud I was of him. He just lit up and kept going. He decided halfway through that he wanted to quit and do the rest tomorrow but I urged him on, telling him we could run and tell Daddy when he was done. So he kept at it and read the whole thing with me only helping him on the words "escaping" and "crushing". I was so so proud of him. He seemed so old, sitting there reading a book with no help. I'm hoping it gives him that extra boost of self-confidence to keep trying to read more and more. My smart boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment