Thursday, October 9, 2008

Savoring the Moment

Having Sammy has really thrown it in my face how fast time goes. He'll be 8 weeks old on Monday and I have no idea how that happened so quickly. It really seems like he was just born a week ago. There's so many things I want to imprint on my memory and save for the rest of my life.

I'm realizing how little I remember of Elijah's babyhood. I was sick for over 2 weeks of his first month of life and then I think I just let daily life get the best of me and I wasn't as aware of time flying by. I don't want that to happen again. I try to take pictures every day of Sam and I try to burn in my mind all of the little things he does. His smiles, his coos (he's talking to us so much lately), the way he moves his hands reflexively and how he "runs" his legs when he's playing, how just a week ago when you'd pick him up from his swing-he'd curl right into you in a little ball. Russ said he was like a little baby caterpillar. He doesn't do that anymore.

We have lots of video of Isaac when he was a baby and I don't think we have hardly any of Elijah. It breaks my heart to think about. I knowt there's nothing we can do about it now so I try not to dwell on it but it really makes me very sad. I've been wanting to get video of Sammy and finally got some over the past 2 days. Yet I'm still sad we have none of his first 6 weeks of life.

I'm also trying to enjoy all of those little moments with the other boys too. Last night as I was laying in bed, falling asleep, I heard my door creak open. I looked up and Elijah was standing there all sleepy-eyed and nervous looking until he saw me. I said, "Hi Sweetie" and he smiled and ran to the bed, climed in and snuggled right up against me under the covers. Such a simple thing, yet so sweet and something I don't ever want to forget.

I know life will continue to be busy and there will be many many things that I do forget over time but I really need to keep reminding myself to slow down and just savor these precious moments.

No comments: